Monday 2 December 2013

It's easier to be a fanatic than a faithful soul... Driven vs Resting - Part 3

The test of a man's religious life and character is not what he does in the exceptional moments of life, but what he does in the ordinary times, when there is nothing tremendous or exciting on. The worth of a man is revealed in his attitude to ordinary things when he is not before the footlights...

It is easier to be a fanatic than a faithful soul.

 Oswald Chambers


A good tree bears good fruit. Fruit is one of those things that can't be rushed and it takes time for it to develop so we don't get to see the results of the fruit of our actions or those of others immediately. This is something I hang on to when I get tired of being faithful. I'm not going to see the fruit for a while but it will come. It also stops me from jumping to the sound of other voices.
I've learnt from many different people and in many different ways, but to know someone whose life exhibits good fruit - in their family life, marriage, other relationships and character - and to learn from them has been most valuable for me. You'll know them by their fruits is the ultimate test of how we've lived our lives because the fruit displays the end result of many small acts of faithfulness over a long period of time.






Some things to think about:

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness. 2 Peter 1:2

I do all these things (being a wife and a mother, homeschooling) calling on the grace of God.

  •   Home education - is this a priority for me or am I neglecting it for other things?
  •   Am I trying to please others to get their approval?
  •  How many times have I changed what I was doing, not because it wasn't working, but purely because someone else raved about something they were using or said it was the best?
  •  Do I now find I'm dissatisfied with what I've changed to??
  •  Am I being faithful where I am at this time?
  • Do I get easily distracted by what everyone else is doing?
  • Am I comparing my family with another and feeling anxious that we're not doing things as well as they are?
  • If so, do I personally know this family and haven't just read about them? Or do they only have girls and I have a houseful of boys? 
  • Am I a fanatic? (I have tended to be at times...) or am I a faithful soul? (That's what I want to be)


Anxiety never releases tomorrow of its problems. It only empties today of its strengths.

Charles Spurgeon 









8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog Carol; it is so encouraging.

Best wishes to you and your family,
Angela

Carol said...

Thank you for your kind words, Angela. It was encouraging for me that you took the time to comment!

Gina said...

I found your blog through the Charlotte Mason blog carnival and enjoying reading through a number of your old posts. This is such good things to remember!
Thanks,
Gina

Carol said...

Thank you, Gina. Sometimes I think I am a recording...faithfulness, faithfulness, faithfulness, but I need to keep reminding myself.

dawn said...

Do I get frustrated by trying to cram too much into too little time? Aye. Thanks for the reminder to be faithful in the small things.

Beth said...

A great reminder, and one I needed. Thanks!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

This is something I needed to read. Thank you for sharing it.

Cindy said...

I love this. That one sentence is profound.